Need Ideas For Your Science Project?
The future of the crude oil and natural gas industry depends upon science. New discoveries in geology help to accurately predict crude oil and natural gas reserves. Physics and engineering advances have created safe and efficient ways to retrieve, transport and store natural gas and crude oil. Chemistry has produced new uses such as plastics and fabrics that translate into consumer products such as soccer balls, football helmets, polyester-filled sleeping bags and nylon tents. Synthetic compounds (petrochemicals) have produced fertilizers and pesticides that have increased crop yields and sulfa drugs that have conquered infectious diseases.
By supporting the Ohio Academy of Science’s (OAC) STEM Science Day Awards, the Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Program hopes to support the best and the brightest Ohio science students. These future scientists will hold the keys to tomorrow’s energy solutions!
OOGEEP supports the school science fair programs by offering students information on ideas and resources for crude oil and natural gas related projects, sponsoring OAC’s STEM state science fair Award #139, and judging at the state science fair. Criteria for selection of OOGEEP’s Award #139 includes: outstanding work or knowledge gained about natural gas and/or crude oil in the areas of geology, engineering, chemistry, microbiology, physics and environmental sciences. Learn more about this award through the Ohio Academy of Science.
- Using the Seismic Method for Oil and Gas Exploration
- Porosity and Permeability: Does crude oil and natural gas really come from rocks?
- Natural Radiation of Rocks
- Rock Mechanics: Crushing Strength, Bending Strength, Shear Strength, etc. and their Interrelationships
- Cement Chemistry: What Cement Characteristics Work Best for Which Job?
- Pump Design: Getting Crude Oil and Natural Gas out of sand
- Oil Chemistry: Reasons and Uses for the Different Colors of Oil
- Natural Gas Chemistry: Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane — What are their properties and Uses?
- Petrochemicals (Various Compounds of Hydrogen and Carbon): the Building Blocks of Acrylic, Nylon, Polyester, Plastics, Paints and Fertilizers
State Science Fair Awards
Congratulations to the 2018 OOGEEP State Science Day Award Winners
(Ohio Academy of Science’s Award #139) held on May 12, 2018.
1st Place Winners
- Jamie Bradbury
2nd Place Winners
- Lauren Dalton
- Christine Gulas
- Liliana Hunt
3rd Place Winners
- David Baden
- Jillian Wilde
- Jake Terrell
- Kaylaa Betts
- Helen Chermak
- Enna Eastman
- Anna Granata
- Anas Mereb
- Pushkar Shirahatti
- Cassidy Smith
- Marissa Sypolt
- Steven Wappenstein
- Noah and Elisabeth Landskroener
- Charley Clyne and Wyatt Vick
- Cameron Epp and Ammon Miller
SCHOOLS REPRESENTING OUR SCIENCE FAIR WINNERS
- Columbus School for Girls
- Columbus Spanish Immersion Academy
- Columbus Torah Academy
- Como Elementary School
- Copley-Fairlawn City Schools
- Copley-Fairlawn High School
- Copley-Fairlawn Middle School
- Cornell Heights Elementary School
- Creekview Intermediate School
- Glenford Elementary School
- Glenoak High School
- Glenville High School