Need Ideas For Your Science Project?
The future of the natural gas and oil industry depends upon science. New discoveries in geology help to accurately predict natural gas and oil reserves. Physics and engineering advances have created safe and efficient ways to retrieve, transport and store natural gas and oil. Chemistry has produced new uses, such as plastics and fabrics, that translate into consumer products such as soccer balls, football helmets, polyester-filled sleeping bags and nylon tents. Synthetic compounds (petrochemicals) have produced fertilizers and pesticides that have increased crop yields and sulfa drugs that have conquered infectious diseases.
By supporting the Ohio Academy of Science’s (OAS) STEM Science Day Awards, the Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Program hopes to support the best and the brightest Ohio science students. These future scientists will hold the keys to tomorrow’s energy solutions!
OOGEEP supports the school science fair programs by offering students information on ideas and resources for natural gas and oil related projects, sponsoring OAS’s STEM state science fair Award #139, and judging at the state science fair. Criteria for selection of OOGEEP’s Award #139 includes: outstanding work or knowledge gained about natural gas and/or crude oil in the areas of geology, engineering, chemistry, microbiology, physics and environmental sciences. Learn more about this award through the Ohio Academy of Science.
- Using the Seismic Method for Oil and Gas Exploration
- Porosity and Permeability: Does natural gas and oil really come from rocks?
- Natural Radiation of Rocks
- Rock Mechanics: Crushing Strength, Bending Strength, Shear Strength, etc. and Their Interrelationships
- Cement Chemistry: What Cement Characteristics Work Best for Which Job?
- Pump Design: Getting Natural Gas and Oil Out of Sand
- Oil Chemistry: Reasons and Uses for the Different Colors of Oil
- Natural Gas Chemistry: Methane, Ethane, Propane, Butane — What are their properties and Uses?
- Petrochemicals (Various Compounds of Hydrogen and Carbon): the Building Blocks of Acrylic, Nylon, Polyester, Plastics, Paints and Fertilizers
State Science Fair Awards
Congratulations to the 2021 OOGEEP State Science Day Award Winners
(Ohio Academy of Science’s Award #139) held virtually in June 2021.
1st Place Winners
- Emily Swope
2nd Place Winners
- Michael Zhu
3rd Place Winners
- Beckett DeBusk
- Mary Buzek
- Delaney Dankert
SCHOOLS REPRESENTING OUR SCIENCE FAIR WINNERS
- Birchwood Schools
- Bishop John King Mussio Schools
- Bishop Leibold Schools
- Bloom Carroll Schools
- Dayton Christian Schools